It’s Monday….you know what that means- another Meatless Monday option!
My delicious Southwestern Egg Rolls. I’ve been making these for a few years now and either eat them as a healthy lunch option or these are also great to bring as an appetizer to a party.
As you already know, I love south of the border flavors so these egg rolls are right up my alley.
You can switch up the flavors & fillings to suite your taste buds if southwestern is not your thing. I also baked these instead of fried them like a traditional egg roll just to be a tad bit healthier.
If you are vegan, just leave out the cheese in this recipe. If you want to make these more protein packed, just add shredded chicken. Just make sure to buy more than one package of egg roll wrappers- you’ll need them!
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pkg. egg roll wrappers
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the red bell pepper, red onion & garlic. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Add cumin, chili powder, black beans & frozen corn to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat & then add the cilantro & salt.
- Let the mixture cool for about 30 min. before adding both cheeses.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Once cheese is added, begin to assemble the egg rolls (detailed instructions on how to fold the egg rolls can be found on the back of the egg roll package). I use a heaping spoonful of veggie & cheese mixture for each egg roll.
- Place the egg rolls on cookie sheets that have been sprayed with cooking or vegetable oil spray. Brush the top of each roll with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes or until tops of egg rolls are browned a bit.
- Serve with sour cream if desired.