I’m back for another Meatless Monday post with my love/hate ingredient- MUSHROOMS!
I’ve been finding ways to incorporate this low carb veggie into my diet. Also, this thick stew is perfect for a cold, winter night. I always crave something hearty during the winter, but often end up eating something unhealthy. This rich stew is the perfect alternative. Also any excuse to cook with wine, is fine by me!
You can eat this like a soup or over some brown rice or potatoes. I prefer to eat this as a soup- it’s perfect on its own. If the tomatoe base doesn’t float your boat- switch that out for some vegetable broth to make a thicker stew that can easily be eaten over any healthy grain.
White Bean & Mushroom Stew
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled & diced
- 1 lb. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, puréed in blender
- ½ tsp. basil
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 2 15 oz. can cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- ½ cup water
- coarse salt & ground pepper
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Cook onion, celery & carrot until tender, stirring occasionally (about 8 minutes).
- Raise heat to medium high, add mushrooms & cook, stirring often until softened (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add wine to pan, scraping up any brown bits with a wooden spoon. Cook for another 5 minutes,
- Add tomotoes, basil, oregano, beans & water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer until slightly thickened (about 15 minutes).
- Season with salt & pepper. Serve hot with drizzled olive oil