Happy Meatless Monday!
This week’s recipe is a spin on a recipe I found in Gaby Dalkin’s cookbook, What’s Gaby Eating: Everyday California Food. Gaby cooks simple yet flavorful foods using fresh ingredients. Her coastal inspired recipes use healthy staples such as quinoa, fresh veggies, citrus & more!
I was drawn to this fajita recipe because each tortilla is loaded with filling veggies & fresh flavors. I also like the fact that this recipe was quick & easy. I’m always searching for easy recipes to make on weeknights after work. Who wants to spend more than hour prepping & cooking dinner when you just worked all day? If you prep all the veggies beforehand, this recipe takes less than 10 minutes to make!
I chose to add goat cheese to the recipe. Goat cheese is one of my favorite cheeses & can be so versatile. It adds some creaminess to the charred peppers. If you are not a fan of goat cheese, cotija cheese or even crumbled queso fresco would work well with these flavors.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 poblano pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 12 small corn tortillas
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over high heat until smoking. Add all the peppers, onion & cook until charred (5-7 minutes).
- During the final minute of cooking, add in the garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes & lime juice.
- Top each tortilla with pepper mixture.
- Garnish with sour cream, goat cheese & a squeeze of lime juice.