Happy Meatless Monday!
This recipe is so incredibly easy. All you need to do is dump all the ingredients into a baking dish & pop into the oven. This satisfying recipe is also gluten free & vegan- can’t go wrong here! If you wanted you could always add shredded chicken or ground beef to this casserole if you have tons of leftovers.
The Mexican flavors of this dish are my favorite! Any time I can eat rice & beans is a good day for me!
If you want to cut out the rice- you can always make this recipe with quinoa or farro. I personally prefer brown rice, but do what works best for you. And this bake might seem a little “liquidy” when you pull it out of the oven, but that will go away if you just let is sit for about 5 minutes. Also make sure you cut the sweet potatoes into even, bite-sized pieces. This will ensure that the sweet potatoes will bake evenly!
- 3-4 medium size sweet potatoes, cubed
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients (except for the green onions) into a 9x13 baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil & continue baking for an additional 15-20 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the oven & let sit for 5 minutes so the remaining liquid can fully be absorbed.
- Sprinkle with green onions & serve!