Happy Meatless Monday!
We are in the middle of asparagus season & I’m finding that this vegetable is so versatile. I’ve used it in frittatas, in a yummy risotto and now in this delicious pasta dish. Asparagus is a great low calorie option to add to your diet. I usually just roast it in the oven with some olive oil & garlic, but finding innovative ways to incorporate this veggie into more dishes has been fun!
I came across this recipe for Lemon Asparagus Pasta from one of my favorite food inspirations- Another Tablespoon. This dish seemed bright & colorful with really fresh flavors. It just screams Spring to me! Plus this dish is made in one pot & completed in less than 30 minutes. What more could you ask for! Easy clean up & a great dish to make during the week when you are crunched for time.
I made a few adjustments just to make this recipe a tad bit healthier.
For example, I used grape seed oil instead of olive oil and switched out the pasta to a healthy low carb version- Dreamfield Pasta. I love this low carb pasta- it tastes like regular pasta but contains more protein & fiber. Another good substitute would be chickpea pasta. I like the Banza brand but have also heard great things about Tolerant Organic Chickpea pasta.
Want more pasta recipes to try? Check out my Pasta board on Pinterest Here!
- I pound Dreamfield Pasta (or regular pasta)
- 2 tbsp. Grape seed oil
- 1 lb. asparagus cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp. Lemon zest
- 2 tbsp. Lemon juice
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp. Fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook pasta for 10 minutes. 3 minutes before the pasta is fully cooked, add in the asparagus & finish cooking with the pasta. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Drain the pasta & asparagus.
- Return the pasta & asparagus to the pot.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, ricotta & Parmesan cheese and combine well.
- Turn the heat to medium low and stir in the reserved pasta water. Heat the pasta mixture for 2-3 minutes & season with salt and pepper.
- Finish with the lemon zest & chopped parsley.