July is National Blueberry Month! To celebrate, I created these healthy blueberry muffins.
Not going to lie, I’m not a huge blueberry fan. However, if they are hidden in some sort of baked goods with chocolate, I am in heaven! Chocolate is an optional ingredient in this recipe, however you will not want to leave it out of these muffins. It makes them wayyy better in my opinion!
In keeping with my mindset this year to eat a bit healthier, I wanted to create a healthier muffin recipe. In general, I feel like muffins get a bad rap to begin with because of the added sugar, high in carbs & higher fat content. However, muffins can be healthy & be a great quick option for breakfast or a snack.
Using whole wheat flour is an easy, healthy swap. Sometimes I find using a nut flour (almond or coconut) makes the bread come out way too dense & almost cake like. By using whole wheat flour, you are getting a serving of whole grains but still that same consistency as if you were using regular all-purpose white flour.
In addition, you’ll notice there is no added sugar to this recipe (only the chocolate chips if you choose to use them). It is sweetened with all natural sugars from ripe bananas & honey. Try these simple swaps in your recipes in lieu of white sugar. You’ll be amazed at how baked goods can taste without any refined sugars.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these healthy blueberry muffins:
- whole wheat flour
- baking soda
- ground cinnamon
- flax & chia seed mix (optional)
- hemp seeds (optional)
- blueberries (I prefer fresh)
- chocolate chips (optional)
- almond butter (or nut butter of your choice)
- mashed banana
- coconut milk (or almond milk)
- vanilla extract
- coconut oil
Don’t forget you can always freeze these muffins.
They last about 4-5 days in an air tight container. So if you are not going to finish them all within that time span, I suggest freezing a portion of them. After the muffins have completely cooled, put them in your freezer on a baking sheet & let them freeze for at least 2 hours. After that, you can then pile them all into a gallon size ziplock bag for easy access.
Interested in more muffin recipes? Here are a few more favorites from the blog:
- 1¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 packet Carrington Farms flax/chia seed mix (optional)
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds (optional)
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup almond butter
- 2-3 mashed ripe bananas
- ½ cup coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & line muffin pan with paper muffin liners or spray really well with cooking spray.
- Mix whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, hemp seeds, flax & chia seeds, blueberries & chocolate chips in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, honey, almond butter, mashed bananas, coconut milk and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients & mix well to combine. Add the melted coconut oil & mix well.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tins, filling each liner all the way to the top.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes (or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean).
- Let cool for 5 minutes before eating! Enjoy!