Happy Meatless Monday!
Today I am starting my Faster Way To Fat Loss program today. The program is all about eating the right types of foods, at the right times. And I’m thrilled my meatless meals fit into these meal plans. So you will definitely be seeing more healthyish recipes. But good news! We have cheat days- so don’t worry I’ve been listening. More baking & dessert recipes will be featured as well. Thank god- I can’t give up my chocolate.
So I’ve heard from many of you that you tend not to eat because you don’t get enough protein. And of course protein makes us full, therefore you feel like you’re starving shortly after eating. Well l have a great protein packed recipe for you!!
These chickpea burgers can pack around 20g of protein (depending on how big you make them). Serving these with a small salad or some roasted veggies is all you need for a filling meal. And they are TASTY! You can dress them up or just eat them plain. I honestly just like to eat mine with mustard on top & a lettuce “bun.” These would also be great in the summer time on the grill- the grill marks mixed with the smoky flavor from the charcoal would make one juicy burger!
- 2 15 oz. cans chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- coarse salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- whole grain mustard, sliced red onion & roased red peppers, for garnish
- Lettuce leaves for wrapping
- Mash chickpeas and brown rice with a fork until a thick paste like consistency forms.
- Stir in shallot, garlic & parsley. Season with salt & pepper.
- Whisk egg & stir into bean mixture. Form into ½ inch thick patties (you should be able to get 4-6 patties out of this). The mixture will be sticky, just form into patties with a consistent thickness all the way around the best you can.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add patties and cook until golden brown (about 4 minutes per side).
- To serve, spread each burger with mustard (my fav is Trader Joe’s Aioli Garlic Mustard). Top with red onion and roasted red pepper. Wrap in lettuce leaves.