I’ve been inspired recently to get back into the kitchen & start testing out heathy recipes. It’s time to get back into a healthy routine & detox from all the crap I ate over the holidays. I know most people aim to drop a ton of weight in the new year or some other super strict resolution. I think it’s unattainable & having the goal of being just healthier in general is the way to go for myself.
I want to try and instill the rule of 80/20 this year. Eat healthy 80% of the time & indulge 20% of the time. Don’t get me wrong, I will never give up pizza & chocolate chip cookies BUT it’s all about balance.
So that being said- here’s my healthy recipe I created for Cauliflower Soup.
I wanted to make a creamy, hearty soup that would be great for this time of year without the heavy cream & calories. I’ve used some healthier swaps too, for instance ghee instead of butter. Ghee is a lactose free & highly clarified form of butter. It has more calories, but has a higher concentration of nutrients. I also used chicken broth because that is what I had on hand, but vegetable broth would work as well.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
- 3 tbsp. Olive oil
- Fine sea salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth*
- 2 tbsp. Ghee*
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Use a silicone mat or parchment paper to line a baking sheet.
- Toss the bite sized pieces of cauliflower with 2 tbsp of olive oil & a pinch of sea salt until evenly coated. Roast in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown (toss halfway).
- Once cauliflower is almost done, heat the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil in a Dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion & ¼ tsp salt. Cook until translucent, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic & cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth & roasted cauliflower. Raise heat & bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer soup for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove soup from stove & let cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer cooled soup to a blender & blend until smooth. Add ghee, lemon juice, nutmeg & a pinch or two of salt. Blend until well mixed.
- Serve with chopped green onions (or chives) as a garnish.
Keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or can be frozen.