I’ve been seeing recipes for blueberry breads & desserts everywhere so I wanted to experiment a bit!
Confession: I really don’t like blueberries. I’m not a “berry” person at all. Whenever I see a dessert with berries in it, I silently gag in my head. HOWEVER, I’m trying to be healthier & be open to different types of foods. And my friend Tyler on Instagram (follow her @omitstyler) makes the best bread recipes & totally inspired me create a healthier bread!
I believe this bread will check a lot of boxes for people. It’s tasty, kind of feels like you’re eating dessert, but is also full of healthy fats & protein.
I have added in a bunch of optional ingredients that you totally do not need.
I added a nut butter & a packet of Flax and Chia seeds for added nutritional value. Flaxseed is a great way to introduce healthy fats into your diet (they also lower your risk for diabetes & heart disease). Chia seeds are a great source of fiber, iron, calcium & rich in antioxidants.
Nut butter is so versatile & can be used so many different ways. I had a sample of Performance Nut Butter that I used in this recipe (made from macadamia nuts, coconut & cashews). Nut butters add protein, healthy fats & in my opinion just helps pull this recipe together nicely. Again, these ingredients are just added health benefits and do not change the taste of the bread.
This bread is definitely a dense bread. If you find the batter is too thick you can add another egg or more mashed banana.
One thing I love about this bread is that it isn’t too sweet. The coconut sugar is the perfect combination with the blueberries & chocolate chips to add a hint of sweetness. You feel as though you are enjoying a treat but without all the processed sugar. And the best part about this bread is that Alex loves it (he ate almost half the loaf!). That’s a win in my book!! Totally didn’t mention to him about all the extra healthy ingredients I added!
- 3 ripe mashed bananas
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup old fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup blueberries
- ½ cup chocolate chips (optional) plus more for topping
- 1 packet Carrington Organic Flax Chia Blend Packs (optional)
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, honey, vanilla extract & coconut sugar. Add in the mashed bananas & mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, old fashioned oats & flax chia seed packet.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients & mix well.
- Stir in the blueberries, chocolate chips & nut butter.
- Pour into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper (or sprayed well with cooking spray). Sprinkle the top with a handful of chocolate chips.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes. Test with a toothpick to make sure the center is baked through.
- Let cool for 20 minutes before removing from pan.