So I am pretty much obsessed with anything chocolate, especially brownies.
Whenever I hear the words “healthy dessert”, I cringe. Like dessert is not supposed to be healthy people. I don’t want fruits & things I never heard of in my desserts. I want rich, chocolately treats that feel like the ultimate indulgence. Brownies & chocolate chip cookies are pretty much my favorites (oh and black & white cookies). For my sixth birthday, my parents got me a carrot cake. I was so confused, like what in the actual hell is this? Dessert is supposed to be chocolate, not veggies.
I also grew up having dessert after every lunch & every dinner. I really had no idea that most people don’t do that! So chocolate & yummy treats were around me 24/7. Needless to say that’s not good for your waistline. As I got older, having dessert after basically every meal caught up to me. I still want that feeling over indulgence but cannot afford the carbs or calories (it’s SO not part of my Faster Way to Fat Loss program).
SO long story short, I’m trying to find healthy dessert alternatives that still taste like normal, fattening treats.
Behold- my recipe for black bean brownies. They taste like yummy, gooey brownies. I added semi-sweet chocolate chunks to the recipe for added sweetness. Everyone who tried these (including Alex) could not believe these were made with black beans! Just make sure when you make them- use a blender, don’t skip this part. You’ll want the black beans to be completely crushed up & mixed together well.
I stand corrected- there ARE healthy desserts out there! I totally plan on investigating & experimenting further. Stay tuned for more yummy, healthy-ish recipes. Check out my Pinterest board for some dessert inspo in the meantime.
- I 15 oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 3 tbsp. Agave syrup
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil (coconut or sunflower seed oil can also be used)
- 3 tbsp. Brewed coffee
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chunks
- Melted Nutella for drizzling on top (optional)l
- Hazelnuts or nuts of your choice, chopped for top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a blender, add the black beans, agave syrup, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, grape seed oil & brewed coffee. Mix until combined well.
- Add in the baking powder & eggs. Mix again,
- Stir in chocolate chunks by hand.
- Grease an 8x8 square baking pan or line with parchment paper. Pour batter in & bake for 20-25 minutes. Test with toothpick to determine if cooked through.
- Let brownies cool then drizzle with melted Nutella & garnish with chopped hazelnuts or nuts of your choice.