I don’t know about you, but I’ve been doing a lot of baking during this quarantine. My go to is Banana bread- but I wanted to mix it up, so I made these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins instead.
I initially wanted to make a healthier version of these muffins- paleo friendly, no added sugar. Something delicious yet won’t make you feel guilty if you have more than one. That batch was an epic fail. The batter didn’t come together right at all. So I figure- I should stick to what I know!
This recipe calls for all the bad for you yet yummy ingredients! If you’re going to have a muffin or sweet treat, might as well make it worth it! Although, I did add a packet of my favorite flax seed/chia seed mix to include some added health benefits. Gotta get in that extra fiber when you can.
Definitely make these when your bananas are ripe. The riper the better because the bananas are sweeter & taste better. I always buy 5-6 bananas at a time & wait until the peel is almost all black before baking with them.
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup chocolate chips plus more for topping
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 packet flax/chia seed mix (about 2 tsp.)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place 12 cupcake liners in your muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt & flax seed/chia mix. Whisk together.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, milk, oil, vanilla & mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Add in the mashed bananas & chocolate chips. Stir a few times.
- Spoon mixture evenly into the muffin tin. Bake for 20-25 min or until golden brown on top.