Happy Friday everyone!
Since it’s almost cheat day & we’re getting closer to Easter I thought I would share this delicious dessert with you. This is another Pinterest find (here’s the original recipe) & I could not be more impressed. Even though there is some chocolate in this dessert, it still feels very light and feels right for spring. That’s why I thought this would be the perfect dessert to make for Easter. A sweet treat after a huge meal is always a good idea!
I like anything almond flavored so this recipe had me hooked from the beginning. It’s also really, really easy to make. Just be sure to defrost your puff pastry sheet ahead of time! The braiding of the puff pastry can seem complicated to- but it’s totally not. At the bottom of this post is a video from the original recipe on how to cut & assemble this dessert.
I decided to add Nutella to this recipe, but you don’t have to.
You can substitute for different flavors jams, fruit fillings or just leave plain. Have you had the Cookie & Cocoa Butter from Trader Joe’s? It’s a mix of gingerbread flavors & Nutella (I’ve recently become completely obsessed). That would taste AMAZING on this!! I love anything almond flavored, but I know not everyone feels the same. The almond flavor in this recipe is NOT overpowering at all. Especially mixed with the Nutella.
You can check out my Pinterest Dessert board here for more inspiration! Happy baking!
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 7 oz almond paste
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 sheet puff pastry (if frozen, thaw beforehand)
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Whisk together the water & egg in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer (or you can use a hand mixer), combine almond paste, sugar & vanilla extract until well combined.
- Unfold puff pastry onto the baking sheet.Gently roll it with a rolling pin to make it slightly bigger.
- Cut slits on either side of the puff pastry (1 inch thick and 1.5 inches from the center of the puff pastry).
- Arrange the almond paste mixture down the center of the puff pastry. Spread the Nutella evenly over the almond paste mixture.
- Begin to braid your pastry strips over the almond mixture in the center. Fold one strip over & then repeat on the alternate side.
- Brush the pastry with the egg wash, then sprinkle with the sliced almonds.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then lower the oven to 375 degrees & continue to bake for 15-20 minutes (until the top is golden brown). Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Slice and serve.