All I can say this past few days have been batshit crazy. Never in my life have I ever imagined our realities would look like this. I feel like I’m stuck in an episode of The Walking Dead (minus the scary zombies).
Unfortunately or fortunately (however you look at it)- I have not been forced to be quarantined yet. Still showing up & going to work everyday is very worrisome and has caused me a shit ton of anxiety everyday. Until the time comes when I have to be stuck in my house, I am making a list of things to do. I think it’s important that if you are stuck at home, you have to keep busy. Keep some sort of routine. Vegging out in front of the television 24/7 is not healthy for your mind or body.
One thing we can be thankful for during this crisis is time. Time to think. Time to reflect. Time with family & loved ones. Time to just slow down. Time to get around to ALL the tiny tasks we constantly put off.
Are you that person who says I’ll do it when I get around to it? SAME. There are so many things around the house that I can never seem to make time for. Well, now it looks like we have all the time in the world. Here are some things you can do at home to help pass the time & get organized:
Clean up your emails
- Unsubscribe from all the junk mail you get on a daily basis. It will help keep track of the important emails & make it easier to find what you’re looking for.
Clean out your basement/attic
- I have a ton of crap in my basement from when I lived in my condo. Before I move again, I want to clean it all out & get rid of all the extra stuff I don’t need. I feel like we all hoard items away, but do we really NEED them? Take the time to clean out all your storage spaces in your home.
Organize your closet and/or dresser (applies to makeup & skincare too)
- I did a post a while back with Sharon from Tidy House & she worked her magic to help organize my closet. Well now my dresser needs a little love too. Sort through your clothes, donate what you no longer wear & reorganize your drawers. Take a few tips from Marie Kondo on how to fold each category of clothing. Oh PS- my bathroom drawers are out of control- will be whipping these into shape as well!
Get Outside if it’s nice
- Last weekend was gorgeous. Alex & I literally just say outside in the sun and it was heaven. Grab your kids (or pets) and go for a stroll in your neighborhood. If you have hiking trails near you or a part- walk around there for a bit just to get some fresh air. Staying healthy & moving your body are really important!
Stream FREE workouts
- So we all know that our favorite gyms & studios are closed for the time being but that doesn’t mean we should stop working out. As someone who prefers to workout at home, there are tons of FREE resources available for you to get a good sweat in. I’ll be doing a whole post with my favorite online workouts next week- stay tuned!
Start a project you always wanted to do
- For me, that is to plant an herb garden. Going to start with a tiny indoor garden with things like basil, parsley & cilantro. It’s something I always wanted to do. For now it’ll be super small, but once we get a place of our own I want to expand & do a huge outdoor garden with various vegetables and herbs!
Sort through junk mail, old magazines & piles of paper
- I’m sure we all have that pile of old mail or paper just collecting dust. Go through it. File important papers & toss the rest. That stack of magazines you’ve had forever? Get rid of them. I’m even planning on going through my books and making a pile to donate to my local library.
Experiment in the kitchen
- I’m sure not going out to eat is killing some of you- but now is the time to hunker down & cook. Take a look of what you have in you pantry- then go to Pinterest. In the search bar you can type in some of the ingredients you have on hand & it will give you recipe ideas! While you’re in your pantry- check the expiration dates on all your food.
Wash your car
- Alex & I did this last weekend! It got us out of the house & our cars were super filthy and definitely needed a bath. If you have kids, this is a fun thing to include them in.
Read a book
- I can’t encourage this more! Reading will help keep your mind active & also take your mind off what’s going on right now. If you have kids, schedule a family reading time for an hour or so everyday. Here are some of my favs!
Stay safe everyone! We will get through this. Life won’t be like this forever. Take this as a reminder to SLOW DOWN and just enjoy life!